What is the genre? How do you know?
I believe the genre is a tragic comedy with a touch of melodrama. I believe this because, it focuses on the characters' relationships and ends with no absolutes. The main focus is the conversation between Cal and Andre's mother, and in the end - regardless of what Cal said - there is no happy ending between the two [like they become friends], the audience is left hanging almost.
I don't agree that it has comedy and tradegy occuring along side but, I can see the 'light-hearted' moments - I would not classify this as comedy or comedic, however.
I say there is a touch of melodrama because the atmosphere created makes the audience dislike Andre's mother slightly; hence, she is then thought to be the 'bad guy'
2. Identify the specific, significant spectacle used in the play. What does it symbolize? How do you know?
The significant spectacles are the white balloons. They symbolize "letting go" or "accepting who [Andre] is gone and moving on". Cal says this when he says "They represent the soul, when you let go, it means you are letting the soul ascend to heaven"
3. The title of the play is 'Andre's Mother'; however she is the only character that does not speak. How does this affect the meaning, theme and plot of the play.
This affects the plot because there would be less 'conflict' in the story if she answered when spoken to. It affects the meaning because, if she was known to speak, the other characters would have probably NOT spoken up the way they did - and therefore, would not have expressed certain emotions and feelings. Cal's father said that Andre helped him get to know his son better, Cal may have never known this if Arthur did not mention it to Andre's mother. Also, if Andre's mother spoke throughout the play, it may have intimidated Cal more and then he would not have 'gotten what he had on his chest off'. The fact that Andre's mother did not speak built up frustration and anger with Cal. When he sought it was the right time to express his thoughts and feelings towards her, he did, and she did not interrupt him.
I believe the theme reflects 'acceptance and letting go' and how different people grieve. If Andre's mother spoke, the conflict may have increased. She would have probably told him that he was wrong or rude, or agreed with him that she was disappointed, etc. The fact that she doesn't speak leaves the audience to focus on Cal's emotion and Andre's mother emotion. Cal could not accept Andre was gone yet and could not let go, until he got fed up with Andre's mother and let go the balloon [let go Andre's soul]. If Andre's mother spoke, it may have delayed Cal's acceptance to let go.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I apologize for the late post!
ReplyDeleteExcellent work! We will discuss the answers to these questions in class on Monday.
ReplyDeleteGrade = 20/20 (Lateness Excused)